Posted by Administrator on 8/28/2014 to DIY Tutorials
You will need:
- access to an inkjet printer,
- clear waterslide decal paper (ebay is a great source),
- a graphic (check out thegraphicsfairy.com for lots of free ones),
- some clear gloss Krylon or some other such brand,
- a bowl of water large enough to accommodate the decal,
- lint free towel or small squeegee or damp sponge, and
- a pair of scissors.
- Print your design on the decal paper according to the instructions that come with the paper. Give printed paper a several light coats of Krylon clear gloss spray. Let it dry.
- Next, clean the item that you are to decal to so there is no dust or dirt.
- Cut the decal out. You don’t have to cut too closely if you don’t mind a little clear shadow around your decal decoration, .
- Immerse the decal (paper and all) into a shallow bowl/pan of water. Let it soak for about 60-90 seconds or until the backing paper releases from the decal. Don’t let it soak too long.
- Now here comes the "waterslide" part. Slide the decal on to your item and throw the paper away. “Squeegee” with a damp sponge or lint free towel. Move from the center to the edge to remove water and bubbles. I usually let the piece sit for about an hour or two to get any last bits of water dried out. Don’t wait too long or the edges may become very dry and curl.
- Spray with a gloss spray like Krylon. Use light coats. I usually do about 3 or 4.
Take a look at our Enamel Chic category for some enamel bases for your own creative design! Click here.